Medical Assistance in Dying (MAiD): Roles and Responsibilities of Health Care Professionals (HCPs)
This course is intended for those who would like a more in-depth knowledge about the process, roles and responsibilities of Medical Assistance in Dying for health care professionals.
• Define MAiD
• List MAiD regulations and oversight in BC
• Describe MAiD Eligibility and safeguards
• Outline MAiD process in BC
• List roles and responsibilities of health care professionals in the MAiD process
• Discuss how respond to a MAiD request
• Explain privacy and confidentiality
• Outline the Request for MAiD form, including witnesses and proxy
• Describe the assessment process, including consent and tele-medicine assessments
• Describe the period of reflection
• Discuss the preparation for an assisted death
• Explain who may aid in the assisted death
• Describe the events of the day of the assisted death and after death considerations
For physicians/NP’s who wish to learn about assessing and providing MAiD, please see Medical Assistance in Dying (MAiD): Roles and Responsibilities for Assessors and Providers, modules 1 and 2.
Those who may support people through the process social workers, nurses, physicians/nurse practitioners and other regulated health care professionals.