Click Enroll in Curriculum to register in the curriculum first
COVID-19 Pandemic Immunizers: Medical Students
Welcome to the Medical Student curriculum! Completing this education will prepare you to provide COVID-19 vaccines in Island Health.
Before providing COVID-19 vaccine immunizations, all medical students are required to meet the education outlined in the BCCDC Education Recommendations for COVID-19 Immunizers, including "All students must have completed the requisite foundational knowledge obtained in their educational program related to intramuscular injections, immunization basics and medication principles to participate in the mass vaccination clinics."
- Refer to the BC Immunization Manual for the best practice guidelines to direct the provision of immunization services, with a particular focus on Part 3 - Management of Anaphylaxis in a Non-Hospital Setting and the COVID-19 vaccine specific resources contained in Part 4 – Biological Products:
- Print the following:
- COVID-19 Pandemic Immunizer Education Checklist:Medical Students
- Your First Day Orientation Checklist
- Check the boxes as you complete the course and bring the completed hardcopy checklist to the immunization evaluator (i.e., an experienced Pandemic Immunizer) at your first immunization shift; they will sign and date it and keep it in your file. This ensures you will get paid for completing this education.
- All immunizers are able to safely administer COVID-19 vaccines.
- All immunization staff are able to discuss concerns, misconceptions and questions that clients may have (e.g., issues that clients raise during the consent process).
- All Immunization staff are competent to manage intended and unintended outcomes.
- All immunization staff are prepared to document vaccine and immunization clinic activities.
Medical students (UGME) preparing to work as an immunizer in an Island Health mass immunization clinic
|4 hrs 15 mins|
This education is intended for Medical Students (UGME) who will be employed by Island Health to assist in the COVID-19 immunization clinics. You will be reimbursed for this education upon being hired.