Click Enroll in Curriculum to register in the curriculum first
Wound Management for Nurses – Provincial Curriculum (Online)
This wound care curriculum course is open to all nursing professionals and consists of interactive courses which can be taken individually. Certificate of completion issued per course where applicable (Note: none issued for Chapter 3a, 3b where hands on practice required for completion). These courses also exist on www.clwk.ca for later reference.
For the best experience, please use Google Chrome rather than Internet Explorer or Firefox. Do not use Safari as it will cause issues with course completion.
Chapter 1a. Pressure Injury Prevention (Braden Risk Scale and Interventions)
- Learn what client risk factors are associated with the development of a pressure injury, as well as, how to perform a Braden Risk Assessment and how to use the Braden Risk Score Sub-scales and possible interventions to mitigate risk.
- NOTE: this module is the same as the stand alone module Course#14798
Chapter 2a: How Wounds Heal
- Discusses the trajectory of wound healing and its importance in determining the wound treatment plan.
Chapter 2b: Wound Assessment
- Discusses basic wound etiologies and the parameters and findings of an wound assessment.
Chapter 2c: Wound Cleansing
- Learn how to do cleanse a wound as well as the what are the three types of aseptic wound cleansing technique.
Chapter 2d: Wound Packing
- Learn what are the indications and contraindications for packing non-visible wound bed (undermining or sinus tract) and the wound cavity, how to packing safely and the importance of counting packing pieces in/out.
Chapter 2e. Additional Education Requirements LPNs - Care of Wounds with a Non-Visible Wound Bed
- Designed to meet the additional education requirements for Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) to safely probe, cleanse, irrigate, pack and dress wounds with a non-visible wound bed (undermining & sinus tract)
Chapter 2f. Wound Dressing Selection
- Describes the various forms & functions of wound dressings and how to determine which dressing to use based upon the wound assessment and interventions needed.
Chapter 3a: Ankle Brachial Index (ABI) Education
- Learn the purpose of an Ankle Brachial Index (ABI) procedure.
- You will need to print the Skill Checklist (Appendix and Appendix F if applicable) and demonstrate you skill in doing an ABI for your Nurse Mentor.
(30 minutes + clinical practice/demonstration)
Chapter 3b: Application of Compression Therapy
- Learn the purpose of compression therapy, precautions and contraindications.
- You will need to print the Skills Checklist (pg. 42-43) and demonstrate your compression wrapping skill for your Nurse Mentor.
(2 hours + clinical practice/demonstration)
Chapter 3c. Monofilament Testing for LOPS
- In this ~2 minute module learn the importance of doing monofilament testing for loss of protective sensation and how to do the test.
Chapter 4a. Burn Wounds Module 1: Triaging Burns/Treatment Minor Burns
- Learn the definition of a Burn Injury vs a Burn Wound, the mechanism of injury as well as the extent/depth of the Burn Wound which guides when to triage or not and the goals of treatment and the management of the minor burn wound including special considerations
Chapter 5a. NPWT Level One: Monitor & Manage
- Guides you in how to monitor & manage the dressing and device of a Negative Pressure Wound Therapy (NPWT) system (multi-user & single-use devices).
Chapter 5b. NPWT Level Two: Dressing Application
- Provides you with the knowledge needed for doing an NPWT open wound dressing application, as well as, closed incision & skin graft dressing management.
- The hands-on skill component of this education will be done through your Health Authority.
(2 hours: a 35min module with a 10 question quiz and a 20min module with a 5 question quiz)
This program is open to all British Columbia Health Authorities' nursing health care professionals.
Prior to attending educational sessions, you must obtain approval from your manager/supervisor if attending on scheduled work time or if you expect to be reimbursed if attending outside of work time. Download this form, have it signed and then keep it for your records. Thank you.